'New Post Box Design - For Indian Postal Service'
A study conducted prior to designing the letter box among postal staff and public to obtain feedback on the difficulties they faced while using the box as also the additional features they would like to have to make it more user-friendly.
User Study Insights:
• India Post was losing business due to inaccessibility of letter boxes to public.
• The existing post boxes made of mild steel rusted rapidly and were easily damaged and users would often hesitate to post letters in such boxes.
• Letters would get wet during rains.
• Postmen found it inconvenient to collect letters.
• There was overflow of letters during festivals and New Year.
The user insights were converted into idea sketches wherein the core issues regarding seepage of rainwater, rusting of letterboxes and ease of collection of letters were addressed.
The ideas were clustered into groups and in line with the requirement of maintenance free letterbox, the idea clusters were based on the materials used for manufacture.
Evaluation was conducted on the following three concept options.
Concept A: Full Letterbox in plastic.